Monday, January 26, 2009

There's a First Time for Everything



THEY SAY THAT blogging is the wave of the future? Or perhaps it's already a wave we're riding, or maybe even one I've missed. But I dare say, it's time for me to catch this tidal wave of electronic media, and get blogging!

So, here goes...

After graduating from the University of Michigan, I moved to New York City with a BFA (big f***ing achievement) and a dream--to be the next Broadway star. Ok, well, maybe not the next star per se, but at least a working actor.

While at first it seemed like a likely road, with agents calling and casting directors inviting me in for Broadway, film and tv, and commercial calls, it soon fell flat. I remember the exact day it happened too. I was sitting at my first class of "Film Acting," taught by acclaimed casting director, Pat McCorkle. She was reading through our resumes, and came upon mine. She said, "Ooh... a U of M-er. I love those kids," later adding, that after a couple years, the new and fresh talent aspect wears off, and you go without work for a long time. And with that, the iron fist came down, as did my career as an actor.

Or so it seemed. I continued to audition, and got closer and closer, as the story always goes, but never got close enough. And yes, I still pursue such a career, and still attempt to fulfill that dream of mine from childhood--to be an actor.

Nevertheless, I wasn't about to wait (pun intended) around as a server at yet another city restaurant, or toss another glass of drinks as a bartender, or shuffle around another tray of canapes as a cater-waiter. I needed to find something more fulfilling, something more lucrative, and something to keep my mind working at the same time.

Enter Real Estate.

And so the story goes ever since 2006. Amidst auditions, and the "getting close" callbacks, I have pursued another career, that of real estate, taking me down a much different path than one would have imagined for me years ago as a little boy adorned with a cat costume singing a collection of songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical smash CATS upon the backyard stage my father built me from the materials of his very own hardware store. Yes, this boy, who did all he could do to get an A in math class, and couldn't understand why mathematical equations would ever play a central role in his adult life, fell into the real estate, an unequivocal, often hyperbolic (I learned that word in math class after all) world of numbers.

And so, he starts his blog. Having joined a new firm (several firms later)--perhaps 3rd times a charm--he gazes into the future of what might be a different career path. Maybe he'll become a Broadway star of a different sort, performing not the leading man role of the latest musical hit, but a leading role of a powerhouse boutique real estate firm (Barak Realty), selling the latest condo luxuries along that great white way.

Stay tuned for up-to-minute real estate news, funny stories, and anything else that may hit the electronic page from the mind of Greg Bibens.

Click the following links to see my company website and my own, personal website.


1 comment: